Saturday, July 9, 2016

Reintroduction - Week 1 (and then some)

Day 1 - Celebrated my successful completion and the return of my dear friend to Anchorage with some red wine.  Just a couple glasses, enough to give me a feel for it without going overboard.

Day 2 (and this is where I screwed up) -  Experienced some stomach issues, which I think had more to do with the sugar in the wine than the alcohol itself.  And yet I still drank some rum and sparkling water with natural coconut flavoring.  Again not enough to get anywhere near even tipsy, and later felt the same stomach issues.  Since I honestly have never had digestional issues from mild drinking before, I am attributing this to the sudden inclusion of sugar and alcohol into my now clean system.  And since I stupidly rushed things, I'm not entirely sure how day 3 should have gone.

Day 3 - Now I understand why there's a 2 day period between reintroduction.  I was trying to fast-track the fast track, and never had had issues with alcohol before, so I figured jumping right into legume would be fine.  It was not.  I ended up just having a slathering of peanut butter on an apple, and felt that same stomach sick from the days prior.  And I don't know if it was the sugar, residual alcohol, or peanuts themselves that caused it.  My guess once again is sugar, and I regret not getting a natural peanut butter to try with, or just having some black beans or something.  Next round I'll do better.

Day 4 - back to whole eating, which has actually become my comfort zone.  Stomach still in flux.

Day 5 - Whole eating, stomach feeling better, still a little sketchy.  Ready to vow off sugar forever.

Day 6 - Reintroduced tortilla chips (non-gluten grains).  Stomach felt good, and continued to feel good throughout the day.  A successful reintroduction!  The only problem was they were delicious and I wanted to keep eating them.  Portion control is my next demon to wrangle.

Day 7 - All's well!

Day 8 - So far so good.  My challenge today will be two-fold; I'm making treats for a baby's birthday party tomorrow, and attending an adult birthday party tonight.  This will be my first time making something that I'm not allowed to taste-test, so I'll be fighting instinct a lot.  Navigating the party and explaining why I'm not eating much or drinking anything will also be a challenge, but one I'm a bit more used to now.


These last few days are really important for me to get right.  Dairy will be reintroduced tomorrow (Day 9), and was one of my suspected culprits in digestional issues, so I'm really interested in how I'll react.  Gluten comes in the 13th, but I'm nervous about that as the 14th I will be on a plane for hours and hours, which is no fun with a bubbly stomach, so I may hold off on it until I land in Curacao.  Or maybe do a muffin early in the morning on the 13th and nothing else the rest of the day and gauge how I feel, and hope any unpleasantness has passed by the time I get to the airport the next evening.

Overall I'm really pleased with my Whole 30 results.  I lost 15 pounds, feel strong, feel capable, and definitely can see myself doing this at least once or twice a year.  My next goal is to start and complete Couch to 5k, so maybe I'll keep the blog going for that.  It's been good to keep my thoughts and progress organized and accessible.  I dig it.

2 comments:

  1. Reintroduction is SUCH a tough part. =p i think they should include that in the count : Whole 30 Plus The Next 30: Or, How To Find The New You. Glad you're not staying frustrated at the trial or the error! -Jody =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog, blog, blog, blog! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete