Sunday, January 15, 2017

When no one has time for you, make time for yourself

With the sun still down and a number of life events knocking me about a bit, it can be hard to continue to make good choices for myself.  Part of me wants to just give in, let go, ignore the progress I've made and spiral back into the hole I've managed to claw myself part-way out of.  I don't know why my brain takes that route, but it does, and I've succumbed to it more than a few times.  Which is why right now I am so appreciative of Whole30 and its entire setup.  That it's a challenge, and a commitment, and a way to prove to myself that I am actually in control.

I often debate whether or not to include thoughts like this in my blog, or anything 'out to the public', because it's not the image I want people to see.  But I also think it's important for people to understand that even when life's not super great, and things aren't going how you'd hoped, or in fact are just downright shitty, you still have to be in your own corner, even if you're the only one.

That being said, I want to tell you about my Saturday.  Don't worry, sad part's over, this is the good stuff.  Saturday was Family Fun Day at the elementary, put on by Iḷisaġvik College, which included a fun run (in the school hallways), health check stations, massages (yeah Heidi!!), and loads of healthy, natural snacks.  It was so awesome to be a part of something that was so inclusive, even to my very restrictive diet.  Plus I learned a lot about the natural sugars in fruits and veggies, that raw sprouts and carrots with a little olive oil and salt is DIVINE, and my blood sugar level is square in the awesome range.  Hurrah!

We used juice and light to determine the order of most to least sugar content
It was a ton of fun and so good to see families having fun, kids running around snacking on green-topped carrots they got to 'pick', and talking with informative people who were so excited to share their knowledge with us.

Saturday evening was pretty much the opposite, however, with wine and cheesecake and brownies and chips all at the ready.  I managed to navigate around it all, having brought some La Croix and compliant snacks with me, as well as a homemade taco seasoning so I could at least partake in one group eating event.  I think that's really what's hardest about this whole thing, not feeling included, which is why Saturday morning was such a glory.  But I made it through, and didn't even steal a slice of cake to freeze for later.  Go me.

And finally, my garden is growing!  Can't wait for it to be harvestable!!  Looking forward to some fresh chives and basil!!
Finally curly parsley woke up and joined the party

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great event! Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittnay, You're an inspiration. You're dealing with the everyday food challenges AND life challenges with awareness and class. Give yourself credit for all you've accomplished- you deserve it!
    Hugs Kris

    ReplyDelete